Frickin' laser beams
Yesterday I went and got me one of them LASIK eye surgery jobs.
Seems to be working out well so far -- I'm back in front of computer after resting all yesterday -- and I'm looking forward to being able to buy a bunch of cheap sunglasses.
Some early observations:
* Mmm. Vicodin. makes you feel moderately groovy.
* Tons of equipment automation. Reminds me of how they had patients on conveyor belts receiving old-school radial keratotomy in the Soviet Union. (RK cheaper than providing eyeglasses to Soviet citizens.)
* The LASIK machine sounds like the ray guns that the Terminator-bots fire in the opening credits. ("Bzzzzzt!")
* You can smell lots of ozone during the procedure. I don't care what it comes from, but it sure smells like burnt hair and that was pretty gnarly, because you're thinking like "hey, that's what burning cornea smells like."
* I'm not fully convinced if the kids still recognize me.